If you have been affected by natural disaster, there are a number of support options available to you. The ATO recognises that you have more important things to deal with than tax and compliance affairs.
Here’s a list of the support you could access:
- More time to lodge and pay ATO forms
- Fast-tracked tax refunds
- Relief payments from local, state or federal government agencies or from charities
- Assistance in reconstructing identification and tax documents
- Tailored payment plans with interest-free period
- Waiving of penalties or interest that was charged during the time you are affected
- Possible temporary suspension of tax or superannuation audits that are in process during the time you are affected
- Free or low cost counselling services.
The Australian Government has dedicated funding to provide counselling and mental health support for people affected by the 2019-2020 bushfires.
There are a variety of services available such as free counselling, medical rebates and telehealth facilities. The emergency counselling services can be accessed through existing mental health hotlines Lifeline, Beyond Blue, Black Dog Institute and Kids Helpline, or through Primary Health Networks run by the Department of Health.
If you’d like to find out more about disaster assistance payments, deferral of lodgements and payments or any other support available, the ATO Emergency Support Infoline is 1800 806 218.
And, talk to us so we can help reduce the stress of tax affairs.